My Blog List

Thursday 4 November 2010

A musing or Amusing?!

Afternoon Bloggers,

I have a topic to propose to you all today, not one which i'm afraid has much to do with Cadiz, some incidents may appear in here, but this overall piece, i feel, is my first attempt at a real article, i hope you all enjoy:

I'd like to talk about being a Gentleman. I do believe it was how i was brought up, and is surely what society expects from a young man. I mean come on, I know i was brought up in Doncaster, HIV and Teenage Pregnancy capital of UK and Europe at many points over the last few decades, but I was brought up in a good family, with good people around me, at good schools. I'm no Chav i can promise you this much.

I must admit i have done a few things in my time that don't warrant the label of Gentlemanly conduct, you know the deal, don't call a girl back, one night stands, pull friends, everday, sleazeball kind of crap, but i do believe i make up for my mistakes and besides, i rarely make mistakes! I am indeed one of those guys who lives by his word, my word is my both my sword and my shield. I will often speak without thinking, not because i am arrogant, ignoratn, or in fact stupid. But becuase my head is full of so many ideas, some good, several not so much!! Sometimes an idea will pop into my head and i will just need to get on here and tell you guys, sometimes i'll inappropriately blurt them out. Now i'm not saying everything i say is gospel, trust me, 8/10 times what i'll say will be just crap, but 2/10 and thats still alot, its something nice, something good, something maybe brilliant, and sometimes, and only sometimes, it will be romantic, sweet, or just down right charming, and it's these times, these precious times that i think to myself, damn, thank god i was brought up to think this way, because i would much rather be stood there and be reeling off romance, than just say to some young lady that i wanted some 'ows ya father behind the bike sheds'!

So this brings me to my conversation with the girls just the other day. Now we were reflecting on the goings on during our Halloween night out and the following day and they were trying, (like trying to get water from a stone!) to get gossip from me about the young lady i went home with, and when i refused to give them anything more than the basics they complained! They told me that 'Gentleman is so last year' and that 'being a gentleman is boring'. I was far from impressed by these comments! What has scoiety come to where women now do no look for a man who is going to tell them how beautiful they look in the moning, or hold the door open for them, or even offer to pay the bill?!? Am i dillusional to think this is mere politeness? Okay so these are girls from places like Leeds and Essex and go to Uni in cities like Birmingham and Nottingham, so i wasn't expecting much from the conversation, but even girls brought up in Doncaster can recognise the draw a Gentleman brings, it's a tradition passed along generations, kept alive in literature and film, and if you attend certain Universities around the Uk and the USA or hold certain employment, it is expected from you, so why is it all of a sudden this generation of women, this genereation of 'Sex and the City' girls, have come to expect men who are going to act in a whole different manner?

Am i mad to believe that Chivalry, Gentelmanly conduct and just down right politeness is dead?! Is romance dead? Has it been replaced by Booty Calls and One Night Stands?

Now i'm not going to lie to you and tell you i'm an all out romantic, i do like a good cry at the Notebook as much as the next guy, but i also like a good sloppy drunken pull as much as the next dude, and sadly, for many guys the latter is what is expected. Your friends will openly ridicule you on the Notebook, but will high five you and urge you on with a good old fashioned nightclub pull.

Sadly i cannot sit here and profess to have the answer, people like time, change as do traditions, culture and expectations. Semmingly long gone are the days of chivalry, the damsel in distress waiting for her knight in shining armour. We are now living in an age where you do not send a drunk girl home, but are urged to 'Blast it before she's past it' meaning too drunk. Now i can sit here and say i;m slightly perplexed. Maybe i can even sit here and say that maybe if i was less of a gentleman i'd get numbers in my little black book, maybe i should adopt styles such as sharking, or get the girl from downstairs to pop up for a booty call (she's about 90, if her hip didn't go on the way up she sure as hell wouldn't make it far through the night!!). But what i cannot do is sit here and tell you i have all the answers, i could sit here and tell you i know what's going on and what we have to do i mean come on i'm a barman surely i know everything? it's my job right? Wrong! Sadly i do not have any answers, and sadly i can merely say that this topic is on hold, for now anyway.

Happy Blogging :)

No comments:

Post a Comment